"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." ~Flannery O'Connor

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Spy Wednesday and Gnosticism

I just learned today from my pastor, who presided at Mass, that today during Holy Week is called "Spy Wednesday" inasmuch as the readings are about Judas. He took the occasion to preach about the Judas in each of us and, almost as important, about the current buzz over the Gospel of Judas. (See my post about that issue.)

Though I can't say the same for the congregation of mostly elderly women, I was deeply impressed with what he said about the Gnostic background and motivation of said gospel. Everything he said about Gnosticism's theology and spiritual effects was true and timely. If anybody there needed inoculation against the Gnostic gospel, they got it.

I wonder how many other priests are giving that shot. In the big cities and affluent suburbs, they should be giving it out freely.
blog comments powered by Disqus