"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd." ~Flannery O'Connor

Thursday, July 27, 2006

The book meme

Before I sign off, I note that the Pontificator has memed me and several others with a list of book questions. I'm delighted to oblige.

1. One book that changed your life:
C. S. Lewis, That Hideous Strength (I prefer his fiction to his apologetics, though the latter ain't too shabby either)

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
J. R. R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings (eleven times, actually, and that's the whole trilogy)

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
The Bible (no-brainer, that)

4. One book that made you laugh:
John Tyerman Williams, Pooh and the Philosophers (you'd laugh too, if you've ever studied or taught philosophy)

5. One book that made you cry:
Henri Nouwen, Adam (those who know me personally won't need an explanation of that)

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Gregory Palamas, Why I Love Thomas Aquinas (let's get the chronology right)

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Ariel Levy, Female Chauvinist Pigs (yes, there really is such a book, and it made me want to retch)

8. One book you’re currently reading:
John F. Haught, Is Nature Enough? (my review is forthcoming in First Things)

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Hans Urs von Balthasar, The Office of Peter and the Structure of the Church (heck, I've used its themes often enough)

blog comments powered by Disqus